To begin is the most beautiful thing.


To begin is the most beautiful thing.
To continue is the most honorable thing.
To persevere is the most satisfying thing.
To finish is the most beautiful thing.

                               - Sharon M.E. Houk
                                  6/4/2005
                                  Chicago, IL
                                  Gleacher Center

I wrote this little poem while waiting for my first writing class to start at The University of Chicago Graham School of Continuing Liberal and Professional Studies.  I think I have been on time 2 times in my entire life.  This was the first time.  The second time was three weekends ago when I showed up early for an Iowa Summer Writing Festival workshop with Gordon Mennenga.  (What a great class!)  In both cases I was inspired to write beautiful, funny and powerful stories.  Perhaps I'll try to get to more things on time in the future.  I just have to make sure that the things I am trying to get to are things that I truly care about.  I intend to do far fewer things with far greater passion.  This blog made it onto the new list.  So did my son, my family, my writing and my workouts.  My friends made the list including my new writing friends who I'm sure will help keep me inspired.  And three projects made the list.  Woo wee, to think of all the things that did not make the list!  A new day.  A new list.  Beginning is the most beautiful thing.  I think this is the best day ever!

Comments